Friday, September 9, 2011

The World in a Grain of Sand: Science Through Beginners' Eyes

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
                         --William Blake


This blog will be about my adventure in bringing science to preschool and elementary-school children over the coming year.  Although Blake is known as a mystic rather than a scientist, this quote captures how I feel about bringing science to kids: too many people have never seen that curiosity and a sense of wonder are a big part of science.  Everyday objects like grains of sand and flowers, if looked at with a genuine sense of curiosity, lead us to think about bigger and bigger ideas, until we practically hold infinity in the palms of our minds.

The main purpose of this blog is to record something about my activity each week: what I did with the kids, how well it worked, how it could be made to work better, etc.  This is for my own benefit so that I have a journal to refer back to if I do this again next year.  If others happen to look at this blog and use it to help bring science to kids, that would be fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment