Monday, October 24, 2011

We all learn with a little submarine

Friday I did the submarine activity at the elementary.    This was at a
somewhat higher level because the kids here had been studying weight
and volume and how to measure them.  Because I had told Lorie I would
be doing this activity, she sneaked in a lesson on density before my
visit.  So I was able to discuss how density related to the
experiment.  (What they remembered about density is that it's "weight
and volume together", but they were not able to articulate just how,
so this served as a good reinforcement.)

A few notes to myself on implementation: (1) the little rocks at
Lorie's house are great for shoveling in the bottles easily; (2) the
right kind of water container (low and flat) is really important,
because high walls and/or deep water is a big inconvenience; and (3)
don't let any kids fill their bottle with sand!

Overall, I'd say it worked just as well with the elementary as it did
with Primaria.  That's not to say it was the same; it was definitely
different, but it's amazing how the same thing can be viewed through
different lenses and be    valuable in different ways for different age
groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment