Friday, March 2, 2012

Kindergarten Energy

Today I discussed energy with the pre-K/K kids.  I followed the same basic plan as I did when I discussed energy with the elementary kids (minus the last three paragraphs).  I know they've studied the water cycle quite a bit, so at the end I related it to the water cycle: water in the clouds has potential energy, water in the river has energy of motion, damming the river stores the energy, letting water our of the dam turns a turbine which generates electricity, etc.

In the remaining time, instead of having the kids draw pictures of different forms of energy as I did with the elementary kids, I let them play with the lights, prisms and lenses which were so popular last week. The primaria kids loved them too.  They were very disappointed when science time was up; in fact, one of them cried so much that I decided to leave all the materials at the school so that they could play with them in afterschool care as well.  This is a good thing for the future of science: girls crying for more science time!  Apparently this activity was a big hit in aftercare as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment