Saturday, September 29, 2012

Newton's laws for 1-2 graders

Friday I spent an intensive morning with the 1-2 graders working on Newton's
laws.  The format was quite a contrast from last year when I had 20 minutes with
each of three mixed-age groups!  That was insanely rushed.  Still, I followed more
or less the same format as last year, with the hoverpucks, the donutapults, and the carts, so I won't rewrite all that here.  I added a few things, which I will describe here, but mostly we used the time (45 minutes before morning break and an hour after) by going a lot more slowly and thoroughly.

I knew it was going to be a long morning for them, with a lot of different things to
pay attention to, so I started with an overview.  I started by writing three goals on the board and we talked about what goals are.  I told them that if we accomplished all the goals they would get a present at the end.  The goals were:
  • observe how things move
  • make a model to explain these observations.  I phrased it this way because the previous time I had worked with them one-on-one, we made models of how the mystery tubes work.  I wanted to draw an explicit parallel: a few simple connections will explain and unify a whole lot of observations.
  • figure out how to measure pushes and pulls (forces)
We did a lot of observations of the hoverpucks and the donutapult before break. One thing I could do better next time with this age group is let them play with the hoverpucks first, and then ask for their observations; that might be easier than holding their attention through some demos and then letting them play to build on that.  In any case, by break time we had figured out that objects don't change their speed or direction unless acted on by a force (note that friction is a nearly ubiquitous force, which always acts to slow things down), and the donutapult reinforced that.

After break, I brought out a new toy which I had made earlier in the week by softening a PVC pipe in boiling water and bending it into a circle (curving it around a bit more than one full loop so that it clearly has two ends).  A marble fits inside the pipe and I blow on it like a dart gun.  When the marble comes out, does it continue curving around that circle, go in a straight line, or something in between?  This was another really fun demo.  [Note that I spent two hours making the darn thing, because this was my first attempt at softening PVC, and I ruined two pots.  Dedicated teachers spend much, much more prep time than most people imagine!]

Then we turned to the carts as per last year's agenda.  A new ingredient I added here is the leafblower on a skateboard.  We can trust the leafblower to always push against the air with a constant force, so stacking the skateboard with different weights nicely demonstrates Newton's second law.  We also heard an interesting misconception from one child: that the leafblower/skateboard had to be near a wall to push off the wall.  So we discussed how to design an experiment to test that, and how the experiment showed that the leafblower pushes against the air, not the wall.

This completed the "make a model to explain these observations" goal: objects don't change their speed or direction unless acted on by a force (Newton's first law); a bigger force produces a bigger effect on a given object, and a given force produces a bigger effect on a lighter object than on a heavier object (Newton's first law).  These kids aren't really ready for a deep understanding of Newton's third law, so I summarized it as "things push back when you push on them."  That way of summarizing it may do more to prevent injuries than to improve their understanding of physics, but I felt that I was starting to lose them and that we should move on to our third goal.

The leafblower was indeed a nice segue to "figure out how to measure pushes and pulls" because when students pushed a heavy cart and then a light cart with the same force to observe the same pattern (a given force accelerates a light object more than a heavy object), they had some trouble really pushing with the same force on each cart.  Their muscles weren't very well calibrated.  So I asked how we could measure the size of a force.  I pointed to the scales we had used earlier, but this didn't generate any ideas other than "use a scale."  So I got a popsicle stick and showed that if I press on both ends lightly, it bends a little; if I press more it bends more; and if I press very hard, it breaks.  This is a rough way to measure force.

We can make it more precise by using a spring.  I hung a spring from the whiteboard tray and asked them what would happen if I hung a small weight on it, two small weights, etc.  (A weight is another thing we can trust to always pull [down] with the same force.)  I had taped a piece of blank paper hanging down from the whiteboard tray, and I used that to start to build up a scale with tickmarks and numbers.  Then we broke into two groups (I had only two springs) to construct two scales. Unfortunately, my group overloaded their spring and broke it rather quickly.  Note to self: bring more, and stronger, springs next time.  In any case, we did construct reasonable scales so they achieved their third goal and earned their reward: each child got a brand new, professionally manufactured spring scale.  Before they could play with them, Teacher Pa made them record some of what they had learned in their science journals.

I'd never done the "measuring force" activity before, and I think it went well.  The kids did play with the scales after recording in their journals, even a bit into recess time, so that was a good sign of engagement.  Linus and Malacha experimented with multiple springs set up in parallel and in series.  They observed, for example, that when two springs hold up a weight, each is extended only half as much as it is when it has to hold the same weight alone.  This is because each has to hold only half as much weight.

Some kids expressed interest in having a hoverpuck at home.  They are only $20 and are sold under the name Kick Dis.

No comments:

Post a Comment