Friday, March 29, 2013

Cold and Clammy

After spending most of the morning studying the dynamics of sand along California's beaches,  I had about 30 minutes left to tie up some loose ends I had left on my last visit.  On that visit, I had promised that I could catastrophically crush an aluminum soda can using just heat and cold, but it didn't work.  As soon as I left the school that day, I realized what I had done wrong, but instead of just explaining what I did wrong, I planned some activities to build up to an explanation.  The first was measuring the dew point in the room. (Note: there are lots of dew-point activities written up on the web; I'm just linking to a random one here out of laziness.  In particular, I saved time compared to the activity in this link by starting with cool rather than warm water.)  The dew point was about 10 C, in a room with a temperature of about 20 C.  I also had them answer some questions related to dew point, such as: Which city would you rather travel to, one where the dew point is 50 F or one where it is 80 F?  Explain why, and suggest a plausible location for each city.

Then we related dew point to relative humidity. I wanted to make a graph of amount of water that air holds, vs temperature of the air.  At any temperature, there is a maximum amount it can hold, so I can sketch this maximum amount as a curve which changes with temperature.  I elicited from them how I should sketch it: the warmer the air, the more water it can hold. On that same graph, how would we represent the air in this room? We know it's 20 C, and we know the amount of water in the air is substantially less than the maximum---if it were close to the max we would have seen condensation very quickly as soon as we began to cool the glass.  So I made a mark indicating that conceptually.  As we cooled the glass, we lowered its temp, so I drew a line going leftward from that point.  When it hits the max curve, it condenses.

So the dew point is an indication of how much water is in the air, but what we feel as humidity is really how much water is in the air relative to the maximum it could hold at that temperature. This is called relative humidity.  For example, the dew point was about 10 C, or about 50 F, and in a 70 F room that doesn't feel humid.  But in a 52 F room, that would feel clammy as well as cool.  So I asked the kids to brainstorm how they could build a device to measure relative humidity.  To my surprise (because I was hearing some whining) someone came up really quickly with the idea of a wet thermometer.  I said "Brilliant!" and tried to elicit more details.  Why is being wet important?  Because then there will be evaporation.  OK, how will evaporation change your thermometer reading?  There was much discussion of this, with about half the class leaning toward warmer and half toward colder, but eventually I steered them toward thinking about getting out of a swimming pool and feeling cold as all those little water drops on your skin evaporate.  The thermometer will definitely read a colder temperature! So how does this help you determine humidity? Well, if the air is very humid already, there won't be much evaporation, so the wet thermometer won't read much colder than a dry thermometer.  If the air is very dry, there will be a lot of evaporation and the wet thermometer will read much colder than a dry thermometer.  So we did the experiment, and we found about 16 C (61 F) for the wet one and 20 C (70 F) for the dry one.  Then we find a table which tells us the relative humidity as a function of dry-bulb temp and the temperature difference between dry and wet bulbs.

Now for the grand finale. I reminded them how much a substance expands when going from liquid to gas.  Similarly, when a gas condenses to liquid, it occupies much less volume.  So I put a small amount of water into an empty aluminum soda can, heat the can with a torch so that the gas in the can is mostly water vapor, then plunge the can upside-down into an ice bath.  The water vapor in the can condenses quickly.  Suddenly, there's a lot of empty space in the can, and it collapses catastrophically because the pressure on the outside of the can (standard atmospheric pressure) is so much greater than the pressure on the outside of the can (very little because the gas is gone).  When I tried to do this demo previously, I was not cognizant of the key role of condensation and I put very little ice into a giant pail of water, virtually guaranteeing that I would not get condensation.  You can see a video of this kind of demo here.  It was a satisfying conclusion.  Three kids wanted to take crushed cans home for keepsakes.


1 comment:

  1. Loved reading your post! I used to teach fifth grade science and this brought back memories. Children this age are quite capable of understanding such topics if presented in the right way. I appreciate the way you made them 'work' for the correct answers--inquiry learning at its best.

    ReplyDelete