Thursday, April 25, 2013

Picnic Day


UC Davis Picnic Day is a giant open house attended by 50,000 or more
people. The Physics Club runs a "magic show" and a demo room where
visitors can do some hands-on experiments, but there hasn't been a
kid-friendly physics room in the past.  This year, I decided to make
one with the help of kids and parents at Peregrine School.  The day
before Picnic Day, I brought all my toys (Coriolis effect demo,
balloon in a bottle, infrared camera, mixing colors of light,
airzooka, etc) to the school and spent the morning training students
and parents so they would be able to explain the ideas behind them to
visitors on Picnic Day.  On Friday night my wonderful wife Vera and I
set the demos up in a room on campus, and on Saturday we had a ton of
visitors.

I think we did a really good thing here.  We didn't have our kids
explaining physics to other kids as much as I had imagined, for
various reasons: our kids were having fun playing too; they wanted to
visit other exhibits on Picnic Day; and most of the visitors to our
room were actually adults.  So the kids got less practice in
explaining physics than I had imagined, but we did a great public
service.  As an educator, I'm always thinking about ways to tweak
things, so if there is a next time (or as advice to others thinking
about doing this kind of thing), one way to get kids really deeply
invested might be to have them develop their own unique demos.

No comments:

Post a Comment